Please submit your request by clicking your preferred available day and completing our simple date request form.
What is Pending? Another client has already requested this date for this mediator however that request has not been confirmed. If you wish to be put next in line for this date and mediator, please complete and submit the form or give us a call at 770-955-2252.
Joseph W. Watkins
With over 40 years of experience as a civil trial lawyer, Joe Watkins spent the first 20 years of his career with a defense firm, where he handled and tried a wide range of cases, including products liability, medical, dental, and chiropractic malpractice, legal malpractice, catastrophic trucking and automobile cases, premises liability, and insurance coverage cases. In 1997 he, along with two of his defense firm partners, started a plaintiff's practice, where he represented severely injured individuals and their families in personal injury and wrongful death cases in state and federal courts throughout Georgia. Joe also has argued cases in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeals of Georgia, as well as in the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
He began a part-time mediation practice in 2005 and joined Henning in 2017.
- University of Georgia, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif (1977)
- University of Georgia, A.B., summa cum laude (1974)
- Georgia (1977)
- Admitted to all Georgia trial and appellate courts
- United States District Court, Northern, Middle and Southern Districts
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Watkins, Lourie, Roll & Chance, PC (Partner, 1997 to 2021)
- Long, Weinberg, Ansley & Wheeler (Associate, 1977-1980; Partner, 1981-1997)
Professional & Civil Organizations
- State Bar of Georgia (Insurance Law Section, Chairman, 1987 - 1988)
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- President (2007 - 2008)
- President Elect (2006 - 2007)
- Parliamentarian (2005 - 2006)
- Legislative Co-Chairman (2004 & 2005)
- The American Association for Justice (Council of Presidents, 2006 - 2007)
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
- Sandy Springs Bar Association
- Board of Directors, WonderRoot (2007 - 2010)
- Board of Directors, The Link Counseling Center (2008 - 2011)
- Peachtree Road United Methodist Church, Administrative Board (2003 - 2005)
- Marathon and Half Marathon Running Coach, Team in Training, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (2003 - 2017)
- Leawood Homeowners Association, Cashiers, NC
- President (2006 - 2009)
- Secretary (2010 to present)
Professional Experience and Honors
- Georgia Super Lawyers (2004 to present)
- Top 100 Georgia Lawyers (2008)
- Tried numerous cases, including areas of premises liability, products liability, medical, dental, chiropractic and legal malpractice, insurance agent negligence, trucking and automobile accidents, sexual assault, battery, libel, civil RICO, fraud, breach of contract and insurance coverage disputes.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in countless mediations, including cases in Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina.
- Frequent speaker at CLE Programs
- Registered Mediator and Arbitrator in Georgia
- Henning Mediation & Arbitration Service, Inc.
Areas of Expertise
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Nursing Home Liability
- Sexual Misconduct
- Governmental Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- Bad Faith Claims